Same Day CEREC crowns
Meanwhile, your dentist glues a temporary crown to protect your teeth till the permanent crown is ready. The temporary crown is made of resin and may not be that comfortable as it won’t fit perfectly. You will also need to follow diet restrictions. If not, the temporary crown may fall off when you chew certain types of foods.In the next appointment, when the crown is ready, your dentist checks the fit of your crown, makes minor adjustments as needed and glues it to your tooth. In some cases, the crown may not fit well. In such cases, your dentist sends it to the lab again and you will need another appointment for fixing it.
Same day CEREC crowns
This technology is perfected over three decades. Here, everything from tooth preparation to fixing the final crown is done in just a single appointment, within a few hours. There is no need of a temporary crown here.
In addition, CEREC crowns save your tooth as they require lesser preparation / filing than that required for traditional crowns.
Here, after preparing your tooth, your dentist uses a special camera called intra oral camera to take several 3D images of your tooth. Unlike traditional crowns, no impression of your tooth is needed. The camera is smaller than the point of a ball pen and is comfortable.With the help of a computer, your dentist designs a digital 3D image of your tooth and crown with precise measurements. The design is edited for all the precisions such as indentations, ridges, pits, and fissures. Once the final design is ready, a milling machine carves a replica of the design to make a crown out of a single ceramic block. It takes only a few minutes for preparing the crown. Then, your dentist glues it to your tooth.
Advantages of CEREC crowns
- Saves your time: There is no need for additional appointments as same day crowns are done in a single sitting.
- Saves money: You save on appointment costs and the cost of temporary crown. In addition, for most of the people, less time off work implies, more opportunities to earn.
- Comfortable: You skip putty like / gooey impression pastes.
Disadvantages of CEREC crowns
Though same day crowns are convenient, in certain cases, traditional crowns may be a better choice.
- Traditional crowns give you a better smile. Though same day crowns replicate your tooth precisely, traditional crowns can perfect your smile.
- Metal crowns are stronger and better resistant to fracture / wear and tear. Metal crowns can be made of various alloys, which enhance their bonding with tooth as well as increase their resistance.
- If there is a fracture below the gum line, traditional crowns may fit better. Intra oral camera may not be able to capture a precise image below the gum line.